As we can read and hear Microsoft is working on next version of Windows OS which will be, as it is speculated, ready to release in mid 2012. For curious users (read geeks ;)) Microsoft released a developer preview version. This is definitely smart move as they would get feedback from users and chance to redesign things before is too late.
If we have car hybrids why couldn’t we have OS hybrids and new Windows is the first memebr. Microsoft decided to merge desktop OS with tablet OS.
Installing Windows on VirtualBox disk was a routine procedure after enabling IO APIC feature. On first run a next generation user interface Metro comes up with hyperlinks to games, social networks and programs. There is also a link to Windows desktop. Hyperlinks are represented as boxes and organized on grid in 4 stacks. Each box have large and small view and can be sorted or moved from one stack to another. Application hyperlinks can be removed or installed.
I agree, Metro is really nice design for tablets with touch screen, but on a personal computer or developement machines could be annoying to switch between both desktops. Also this application hyperlinks are not so convenient for mouse navigation.
It seems that Metro is build on top of windows desktop and for now is very badly implemented within. We can only hope that Microsoft will allow to disable Metro front and make more developer friendly OS.
- Microsoft preparing for Windows 8 beta with Developer Preview Install Fair (winrumors.com)
- Windows 8 developer preview available now (techtimely.wordpress.com)
- Windows 8 Developer preview is available to download by Microsoft (edugeek.net)
- Ballmer offers further peek into Windows 8 (news.cnet.com)
- Windows 8 Developer Preview (ciscoskills.net)
- Windows 8 sucks so far. (nerdadventures.wordpress.com)